Previous post:

Next post:

What I’d Like to Give My Mom for Mother’s Day

Today’s Mother’s Day. And tomorrow is my Mom’s 64th birthday. I’m her older child, she just got started a bit late–years of wild adventures before getting married and having kids. It was a second career, one she relished as much as her first.

There are a lot of things one can buy for a Mom for Mother’s Day or for her birthday. What I’d really like to give her is something that can’t be bought. I’d like to give her a clean bill of health. No more cancer, no more chemo, no more pain, no more narcotics, no more fatigue. I’d like to help her be the Mom who played Mommy Lion with us when we were little and let us crawl all over her. Or the Mom who was a good sport and played on the parents’ team at my sister’s annual parents vs. kids soccer games. Or the Mom who would sit in the dressing room at Tech Week all-night rehearsals of the Nutcracker and get her Christmas cards done…or work on costumes.

I wish I could give her the health and energy to do the things she loves to without worrying about tiring out, without feeling pain, without being concerned about adrenaline causing Carcinoid syndrome. No more doctors, no more hospitals.

But there are things I can give her over the next year and, I hope, many years to come.

Now that I’m not working on weekends, I can visit more often. I helped her out with a Spring project and should be able to do more this summer. I can also bring my handy and helpful husband.

Now that I have annual leave, I can come to a big family get-together this summer.

The biggest thing I’d like to give my mom this year is time. While in college, I didn’t have a car and had to worry about grades, etc. My first year out, I was working such crazy and diverse schedules that it was hard to find a free day. Now I finally have time, and instead of filling it with things that won’t matter in another 5 or 10 years, I’d rather spend it with her.

Also, she’s getting a book if she’ll just get me her book wishlist. 😉

{ 1 trackback }

This Past Week » JoeTaxpayer
May 10, 2009 at 9:13 am

{ 7 comments… read them below or add one }

Single Ma May 10, 2009 at 1:00 pm

This post made me tear up. Time is more precious than any material gift you could buy. Your mom is blessed beyond measure.

SavingDiva May 10, 2009 at 2:00 pm

This is such a sweet post! I sent my mom a card…

SavingDiva’s last blog post: Dreaming up the perfect vacation

Flexo May 10, 2009 at 6:32 pm

Best wishes to your mom for Mother’s Day.

Flexo’s last blog post: Podcast 3: Credit Scores and the Credit Cardholders’ Bill of Rights

mrsmicah May 10, 2009 at 10:09 pm

@Single Ma I hope so. I regret not doing more in my teen years because I assumed she’d always be around.

@SavingDiva I’m sure your mom loved it. 🙂

@Flexo Thanks. We got to see my little sister graduate from college, so it was a pretty good day for the family. Mom was very happy about that!

CindyS May 11, 2009 at 10:08 am

This brought tears to my eyes as I am going through something similar with my father. I wish that I could give him better health and take away the cancer. On the up side, I can spend more time with him and I can help my mother out with the things that she needs. My parents have given me so much over the years that committing to spend time there is the very least that I can do.

Your mom is lucky to have you!!

CindyS’s last blog post: 10 Steps to Getting Your Financial Boat Back On Course

TStrump May 12, 2009 at 2:51 am

I’d love to give my mom the gift of a retirement home.
Right now, she lives alone and I help out as much as I can, but I know a time will come when I will have to let go.
Hopefully, I can find a nice, safe, clean place where she can spend the rest of her life in dignity.

TStrump’s last blog post: Is Going to the Movies Still Worth It?

Allison May 15, 2009 at 9:25 am

Aw! I’m the oldest too, with older parents (64 and almost 61). They’re okay now, but it is definitely scary as they get older as I watch friends’ parents who are a lot younger have health issues. Who knows when things will change and when my folks’ preexisting health issues will turn into something bigger…your post is a great reminder to treasure the time we have with our families! I wish your mom the best, and wish you much quality time with her this summer.