I have a few favorite recipes: Paella, Beef Burritos, and now this. It’s a cross between a lemon chicken recipe I found in a diabetic cookbook and some experimentation with an Indian rice recipe one of my friends taught me. I really really recommend this one for an amazing flavor.
Making the Chicken
- 1-2lbs chicken thighs
- 1 TB cooking oil
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 cups chicken stock (or water)
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 2 cloves garlic & 1/2 or 1 small onion
- salt and pepper to taste
- Vegetable(s) & bottle of olives
1. Rinse thighs (remove skins if necessary) and place in deep frying pan or saucepan in oil. Brown chicken on low heat.
2. Add lemon juice, stock, rosemary, minced garlic, diced onion, salt and pepper. Cover.
3. Bring to a low boil then reduce to a simmer.
4. Simmer for approx 45 minutes, turning thighs every 10 minutes or so.
5. Drain, chop meat off thighs, and add as directed below.
6. Cook vegetable(s). Rinse olives and set aside.
Making the Rice
- 2.5 – 3 cups of brown rice
- 5 – 6 cups of water
- 1 chicken bullion cube (or one TB)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 cardamom pods
- 2 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
1. Put all ingredients in pan.
2. Bring to boiling, then reduce to very low simmer. Let it simmer for 45 minutes or until water is gone.
3. If possible, remove cardamom pods, cloves, & bay leaf.
4. Continue below.
Assembling the Meal
Using large pot or dish, assemble rice, chopped chicken, the various vegetables you’ve cooked separately, and the rinsed olives. Stir very thoroughly.
It feeds 8-10 and it’s just one of the most delicious meals I’ve had in a while.