This is a simple recipe, a light (ish) summer meal. It also takes less than 45 minutes to prepare.
1 bag ravioli or tortellini or plain noodles
1 28oz can of chopped tomatoes, 1 15oz can of chopped tomatoes. Or cut up about 5-6 medium tomatoes.
1-2 cloves garlic
1 green pepper
fresh or dried (chopped) basil)
1. Start pasta cooking according to directions on box or bag. Consider adding extra noodles (like egg noodles). I put in half a bag’s worth. Be careful if they cook at different speeds.
2. While water is boiling, chop garlic (very finely), scallion, and green pepper. Reserve in a small bowl.
3. Either chop or drain tomatoes and reserve in a larger bowl. Chop (if necessarily) and add basil to taste. Recommended at least 2 tsp of dried basil.
4. Stir in the chopped garlic/scallion/pepper mixture.
5. When pasta is done, drain and set in serving dish. Stir in tomato+ mixture.
I like that it’s not a heavy sauce but it has a great flavor. Done this way, the garlic, scallion, and pepper are all crunch (which is why the first two should be small) for an almost salad-like feel. My aunt always recommends red, green, and white for a meal. Once you’ve got that, you know it’s Italian!