Before the post, if you want to hang out with Mrs. Micah online, follow my Twitter account here: I’ve been twittering a lot more lately. πŸ™‚

Fun times in DC last night as I got to meet up with various local PF bloggers. Some, like Mapgirl and Cleverdude, I’d met before. Plonkee couldn’t fly over from England a second time (why not!). And I got to meet a bunch of new people (not necessarily new to blogging, but new faces). Can PF bloggers do math? Well in the end…but figuring out the bill, tax, and tip for 8 people (James paid on his own) is complicated. It all worked out quite nicely.

We went to an Irish pub and sat at a long table. We spent 2 hours and 55 minutes chatting before realizing that it was almost 9 and we should all go home. Here’s the who’s who!

• HC from One Big Mortarboard I forgot to add for some reason even though I was sitting across from her all night. I guess I just assumed I’d put her in. πŸ™‚ Anyway, she was quite fun to talk with.
  • DH from Debt Hater is about to get rid of the credit card part of the debt she so hates. Unfortunately, that wasn’t enough to buy a round of drinks. πŸ˜‰ (good spending decisions, I approve!)
  • J from Budgets are Sexy seems like a cool dude. He’s certainly got a good message…budgets don’t have to suck.
  • James from DINKS Finance was at the other end of the table, so I really didn’t to talk to him, but he seemed nice.
  • Jaylin from You Are Not Your Wallet gave me a great recommendation for an Ethiopian restaurant. So now we have a dilemma…go to the one she recommended or Clever Dude’s favorite or get a recommendation from Deepali. Maybe all of them spread out over a year or two?
  • Donna Jean from The Weight of Money also sat at the other end of the table, but seemed cool. πŸ™‚
  • Mapgirl from Mapgirl’s Fiscal Challenge organized the event. I’d met her before, but it was great to see her again. Right now she’s battling a destroyed bathroom…should be more updates on her site soon.
  • Mike from Clever Dude went to the Papal mass this morning. I’m looking forward to hearing about it.

If any of y’all come up DC way, let me know. I enjoy meeting up with bloggers…it feels like meeting coworkers.

{ 1 trackback }

Dining Out Frugally Without Stiffing On the Tip
November 3, 2008 at 2:57 pm

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

budgets are sexy April 17, 2008 at 8:46 pm

Woo hoo, i’m a cool dude! haha… Crazy cool to meet you last night Mrs. Micah, and thx for your hard work w/ the check at the end πŸ™‚

to be honest, it was the smoothest check covering i’ve ever seen w/ 9 people…i wonder why?

mrsmicah April 17, 2008 at 9:17 pm

Lol, J. I was confused at first but it all worked out and the tip everyone left was a little more than 20%. πŸ™‚

A.J. April 17, 2008 at 9:43 pm

I’m a D.C.(ish) blogger, too!

Just writing for a slightly more fabulous demographic. πŸ˜‰

Fiscal Musings April 17, 2008 at 10:53 pm

Maybe I’ll make it to D.C. at some point. I’m moving to Phoenix in a couple of months though, so it’ll only be farther.

Clever Dude April 17, 2008 at 11:49 pm

Hey, don’t forget about Mortar Board!

What was Jaylin’s suggestion again? I can try that one and let you know while you try Zed’s :). I still think Zed’s is the classiest and the best food, but it’s also the most expensive. So if you want to just dabble in Ethiopian cuisine, there’s other places where you can save about $1-3 per entree.

Andrew Stevens April 18, 2008 at 1:58 am

I’m not a blogger, merely a commenter, and I have no idea if I’ll have time to meet up with anyone, but I will be in D.C. briefly on a business trip in late July. I gather I’ll be staying at the Capital Hilton (1001 16th St. NW).

Any advice on interesting things I could do within walking distance if I have an hour or two to kill?

CindyS April 18, 2008 at 2:25 pm

Next time you are getting together, I would love to come up. I am a few hours away but I could make it a day trip and do some other things along the way.

deepali May 12, 2008 at 1:19 pm

Well, damn, there’s a DC meetup! I should come next time. πŸ™‚ And you can’t take recommendations from someone who thinks Zed’s is the best Ethiopian DC has to offer… πŸ˜‰